Monday, November 21, 2011

Thoughts on Sound - 11-21-11


Painting by Alex Grey


It seems like I've barely unpacked from my trip to Paris (and speaking of which, I wrote a piece about The Pitchfork Music Festival in Paris for Igloo Magazine which you can see here) and it's almost time to pack my bag and head to Anna Maria Island for Thanksgiving with my fiance's family... With a few days back in Los Angeles to catch up on some client work and take a breather, I've had some time to collect my thoughts about some music-related items.

First...
The new(ish) Wilco record it is fantastic. The Whole Love is to Wilco, what The Soft Bulletin is to The Flaming Lips. It is one of the most thoughtful, intricate and well produce records they have ever put out. In my opinion, it's the fault of Nels Cline!

Second...
The Cure is it in Los Angeles performing for 3 nights, starting tonight. For some reason this was not on my radar, which means either I am completely out of the loop, or I have completely lost interest in a 50-something year old man in makeup. My goth teenage self would be very disappointed.

Third...
My top 10 jams right now:

10. Wilco - The Whole Love
9. Gonjasufi - Nikels & Dimes
8. Sylvie Varta - Comme un garçon
7. Isotope 217 - Utonian Automatic
6. One Umbrella - Solve
5. Therefore - The Bomb Grant
4. Aavikko - History of Muysic
3. V/A - Pop Ambient 2010
2. V/A - Panama!3
1. Sepalcure - Sepalcure

No comments: